NERF Rival is the latest line of NERF blasters, with a strong competitive theme in that each blaster and accessory is available in either a ‘Team Red’ or ‘Team Blue’ configuration (I’ll let you guess what colors are associated with each team). The blasters are also named after Greek gods, and they fire ball-shaped “high impact rounds” rather than the familiar darts.
This particular gun, the Apollo XV-700, actually has a pretty cool set of features:
– Mechanical safety above the trigger guard
– Top mounted charging handle, reminiscent of the FAMAS
– Accessory rails (a bit smaller than Picatinny standard; trust me, I tried mounting an EOTech just for giggles)
– Seven-shot magazine, which seats within the pistol grip
Oh, and it kicks like a beast, at least by NERF standards, when it fires. Given the projectiles sport a 100 fps velocity, you’d figure it would have to have a pretty strong action.
I only have two complaints:
1) The charging handle obscures the sight profile of the Apollo
2) There’s not a lot of grip room to place your off-hand, since the rear of the Apollo holds the spring assembly.
The best part, though? They actually call the magazine a magazine. Now that’s what I call progress.